From:
"Glenn Sharrock (bigpond)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:16:40 +1000
Thanks for including that abridged review Helen and Alison. Much
appreciated. I didn't quite know what the reviewer/Helen? (sorry)  meant by
there being a lack of discussion of population health (could be
pre-Christmas brain drain on my behalf!) and I am keen to understand. I
quite liked the disquiet I also got from the practice& prejudice text.It
sort of mirrored the disquiet I have had intellectually and practically for
a while now. So the disquiet was not a new or unusual thing.

I kind of liked the idea I thought Seedhouse threw out there about looking
at the theoretical and ethical foundations of health promotion. This is
because I have some reasons for holding some ethical and ideological
criticisms of mainstream health psychology theory in the first instance. I
kind of wish that there was some HP practice developed or discussed from
critical health psychology perspective (or maybe we are doing that and I
just dont know- highly likely!!) I feel really uncomfortable with the what I
see as some ethical implications of mainstream health psychology being
adopted in working with people.

Maybe when we are examining our theoretical, ideological and ethical bases
we may find ourselves talking about social context and equity differently?
Maybe these issues are already are or are not part of HP at a deeper and
more fundamental philosophical and theoretical level? Maybe this is why
David Seedhouse doesn't (if he doesn't) talk about these concepts? I lean
toward thinking that he could be saying that equity and social context is
dealt with at a deeper level by talking about ethics, theory, philosophy and
politics. Hope this has been of interest as your most helpful comments were.

thanks again.
Peta Sharrock