From:
Susanna Suchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:54:26 -0500
QUOTE: Our experience in producing our income and heart health report is another example of the kind of resistance we must deal with.  The only member of the coalition who expressed opposition to the substance of the report was a member
of the local health unit whose objections were overuled by the community partners.  Nonetheless, the network has been told that no further reports of this kind will be tolerated! and life would be calmer for all if they went back
to walking trails, fruits and vegetables, and anti-smoking campaigns and left the issues of poverty, hunger, homelessness and exclusion to "activists."

Deja vu. I headed a healthy lifestyles project here in "Ontario, Canada" until MH's ultra right-wing govt did away with these types of initiatives.
Now we all know that the walking trails, a healthy diet and smoke-free lifestyle can promote health. And for that matter, they can be quite affordable even to many "poor". But it is an attitude shift that is unattainable for many of our "marginalized" citizens. The Healthy Lifestyles projects taught and supported these healthy practices but it seems that population health is now the focus. Without supports in the community these healthy lifestyles cannot be put into practice. The issues of literacy, language, disability and mental illness often impact toward deep poverty and  homelessness. And anyone with a pulse knows that health promotion must include the broad determinants.

With that being said, what do we do as health promotion professionals. How can we be insidious, and effective while walking the talk? I believe that we only add to the problem by venting our frustration and spleen, especially when we attach people (which is what the government is) rather than the root problems.

Maybe it is just the spirit of the season, but can someone help me here with finding a peaceable solution?

Warm regards,
Susanna Scott Suchak
Health Promoter