Sender:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:56:25 -0700
From:
Tasha Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Joanne,

I work for a company that makes multimedia programs for health education.
We are just finishing production an interactive health risk appraisal on
CD-ROM strongly based on individual lifestyle change and the Stage of
Change principles. (I am working in the U.S. afterall.)

Users answer a questionnaire and then get a video report about their
results with testimonials from "ordinary people" who have implemented the
various lifestyle changes pertinent to the user (e.g., lower their blood
pressure, lose weight, stop smoking, etc.). Users are encouraged to choose
a few strategies and make a "Change Plan." They are complimented on any
good lifestyle habits they have reported (e.g., always fasten their
seatbelt...), and are given a schedule of routine exams based on their age,
gender and risk profile (e.g., family history of prostate cancer, age at
first menses...).

The CD mentioned above is specifically for working age people (18-59) and
features video clips of people in those age ranges (It actually tailors
some to age: People under 40 will see mostly testimonials from others under
40; people over 40 will see testimonials from folks who are also over 40).

In addition, we have a companion CD that is tailored to the needs of
seniors, focusing more on quality of life issues and including video
testimonials from older adults. All testimonials are delivered from a range
of ethnically diverse populations, although I would say they are shy in the
First Nations department. (Strong in Hispanics and African Americans, as
these are the largest racial groups in the U.S.)

Both products were developed with funds from the National Institutes of
Health in Washington, D.C. and have undergone randomized clinical trials
with over 500 participants.

It's not an on-line HRA, but it does have some of the same interactive,
non-linear features one would hope for aninternet health risk assessment.

Tasha Beauchamp

P.S. I see you are from the Centre for Active Living. Next week I am
shooting video for a CD version of a program to promote physical activity
among seniors. By February of 2003 I will have done an evaluation with
about 80 seniors and will know more about the timeline for that product's
release.