From:
"Bolen, Carla RHD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:43:16 -0600
At the Health Promotion Summer School at the University of Saskatchewan
a couple weeks ago, we were encouraged by all the presenters,
particularly Dennis Raphael, to include in our health promotion plans,
strategies that address root causes, such as poverty, not just
individual lifestyle change programs.   Upon my return to Regina I found
that there is a very active community group called the Regina
Anti-Poverty Ministry, that does work on three fronts:
*       Individual advocacy;
*       Public education; and
*       Systemic advocacy.
They organize and present workshops on advocacy, develop resources for
public education, organize rallies, conducted research, prepare
ministerial briefs and take on projects, such as the Anti-Poverty Parle,
which will be repeated in January, 2000.  The results of last January's
Parle are providing some of the evidence needed to support strategies
aimed at shifting social policy.  There was a strong emphasis on
proposing solutions (not just redefining the problem) and developing
strategies for movement on these concerns (including policy solutions).
They conduct a Low Income Study Circle monthly, to keep in touch with
the issues of importance to low income persons in this community.  A
couple of the committees in which I hope to become involved include the
Education and Resolutions Committee and the Poverty Action Group.  The
contact person at the Regina Anti-Poverty Ministry is Peter Gilmer,
(306) 352-6386).

In case you missed it, there was an interesting one-pager in Canadian
Perspectives, a publication of the Council of Canadians, entitled Child
Poverty and the Benefit of an Illusion:  How Ottawa maintains the
illusion that it is doing something about child poverty, written by
Richard Shillinton.  I can fax it to you, if you haven't seen it.

That's it for my first ever contribution to this listserve.
Carla Bolen, Regina, Saskatchewan