From:
Tasha Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:35:10 -0700
Thanks for the clarification Annie.

The only thing I know of, and it's not a big deal, is what we do following
an evaluation. We have research participants fill out an address label if
they wish to be mailed a copy of the study results. Once we do the whole
academic analysis, we write up a lay person version and mail it to them. On
the plus side, they feel like there is a completion, a closing of the
circle, and they understand more about how their participation has improved
health education (we have them evaluate multimedia CD-ROMs for health
education). On the minus side, it often takes us a year to get through the
full analysis, so it kind of comes from left field and they've long ago
forgotten us. Not very immediate feedback. We also have to remember to do
it, remember exactly where we stored those labels (which locked
cabinet...). That's not too bad, but it is "just one more thing to do."
Worth it, though, to counteract the feeling that researchers take and don't
give back.

Hope this helps.

Tasha

>---------------------- Forwarded by Annie Villeseche/THS/NTG on 18/07/2001
>08:26
>---------------------------
>

>Annie Villeseche
>18/07/2001 08:22
>
>To:   [log in to unmask]
>cc:
>
>Subject:  sharing health information
>
>Tasha
>Thanks for getting back to me. By sharing health information, we usually mean
>feeding back to the community any information that will assist its members to
>make informed decisions about their health. It can be professional health
>knowledge and advice, health statistics, information about services, programs
>and funding, feedback from a screening program, research and evaluation
>findings, etc...  The issues of privacy, confidentiality, cultural
>acceptability
>play a critical role in sharing this information.
>I would be happy to hear of any tools you know of that may assist us with this
>task. Thank you Annie

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Natasha Beauchamp
Project Coordinator
ORegon Center for Applied Science, Inc. (ORCAS)
1839 Garden Ave.
Eugene, OR  97405

Tel: (541) 342-7227
Toll Free: (888) 349-5472