From:
Brett Hodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:37:38 -0700
I think its a myth that China is ready to move into the 21st century.  Much of the population lives in poverty, despite what the spin doctors would like everyone else in the world to believe, and in some locations lack some of the basic infrastructure to provide clean water and sanitation etc.  What China wants is control of individuals, communities and families, not 'power to the people'.  Most importantly China lacks strong democratic freedoms and respect for human rights that are prerequisites for health.

Although I agree that we should work with the corporate sector to create conditions for health, we should not let the corporate sector (read multi-nationals advocating for global de-regulation that will simply further the advancement of a two class system -the rich and everyone else) or government with a communist political agenda use the guise of health promotion principles as a means to their own ends.

Brett Hodson, Regional Health Promotion Coordinator
High River Hospital Annex
Headwaters Health Authority
560 - 9th Avenue West
High River, AB
Ph: 403.601.1760
Fax: 403.652.0142
Email: [log in to unmask]
T1V 1B3

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/30/02 07:57AM >>>
Dennis- You need to make the connection between a healthy population and a health
economy. The Europeans have highly educated, highly skilled and very healthy
workforce. Each summer half of France take one month off for holidays and the next
month the other half takes a holiday. In Europe all workers are entitled to 5 weeks
of holidays after one year on the job not like here where most people never take
holidays. We cannot make a case for a healthy society unless we get the corporations
and governments to look upon health care as an investment rather than a liability.
If continue to simply try to "fix" people instead of fixing the air, water,
violence, jobs, education systems, we will not only go bankrupt but we will also
have a very industrially uncompetitive workforce. In a modern post-industrial
society, Health and the Economy are interconnected and interrelated. That is why
China is introducing state run health care, life insurance, retirement benefits,
etc. China wants to be competitive in the 21st century and they want bright, happy
and healthy workers! We produce, dull, distressed and sick workers! Who is going to
have a higher GDP? That is the argument you need to use. Stop attacking the IBMs and
start to work with them!
Joe

--
ÐÏ à¡± á