Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:44:47 +0900
From:
Jane Koerner <[log in to unmask]>
Sara Wiesenberg  $B$5$s$O=q$-$^$7$? (B:
>Greetings!  Does anyone have suggestions on the following - we are a
>volunteer org. (with the usual minimum budget) planning to make a
>resource book on local resources and services for "hard to reach"
>women.  The more we talk to these women, the more we think a "book" is
>not appropriate. Word of mouth seems the best way, but of course not
>workable.  Anyone with suggestions, experiences, expertise?  Suggestions
>greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Cheers.
>
>Sara Wiesenberg: [log in to unmask]

Dear Sara,

For a few years I worked making publications in a youth service targetting homeless young people in Canberra Australia.

I think you are probably right when you say that a book may not be appropriate - we used to find the same problem with
making pamphlets for young people. One thing that did work was when the information was written on something that young
people would use and carry around anyway - we made cardboard condom packs to wrap up condoms and lubricant with health
numbers on the back. We also made a `legal rights card` with a short list of young peoples rights if they are picked up by
the police, and on the back we printed the numbers for refuges, health services, migrant and Aboriginal services. The
legal rights card worked very well, because our clients tended to carry them around for good measure `just in case`. The
size of the card was around the size of two business cards, hinged so they could be folded to fit in a wallet although
this limits the amount of information that can be carried. I think that while community workers like the idea of books
with loads of information, armed with numbers for community services, young people tend to consult amongst themselves
about accessing services anyway - with a list of refuge numbers, they`ll talk with other young people about which place
was OK etc. Just having the numbers there as a list may work well as a good reference point.

Good luck with the project.

Jane Koerner

Jane Koerner
Research student
Department of Health Policy and Planning
Graduate School of International Health
Faculty of Medicine
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo
Bunkyo-ku TOKYO 113-0033 JAPAN

 $BEl5~Bg3XBg3X1!0e3X8&5f2J (B
 $B9q:]J]7r3X@l96!!9q:]J]7r7W2h3X65<< (B
 $B") (B113 $B!> (B0033 $B!!El5~ETJ85~6hK\6?!! (B7 $B!> (B3 $B!> (B1
tel (+81) 03 5841 3688
fax (+81) 03 5841 3637
email  [log in to unmask]

Home address (from January 1, 2000)
422-4 Hikawa-cho
Soka-shi Saitama 340-0034
International +81 489 257744

 $B") (B340-0034 $B!!:k6L8)Ap2C;[log in to unmask]]#4 (B

email   [log in to unmask]
Tel/Fax 0489-25 7744
 $B!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v!v (B