Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:58:40 -0300
Kim,

I wouldn't want you to think that U of T is the only school offering Masters
level education in the field of health promotion.  I had applied to U of T,
and ended up going to Dalhousie University to obtain a Masters of Arts in
Health Education (poorly named, since the degree is really health promotion
related).  The biggest difference between the two programs, at least when I
applied, was that the Dalhousie program was a thesis masters, and the U of T
program, a course masters.

I have found that I gained a great deal from having written a thesis.  Not
only did I have the opportunity to select and direct my own qualitative
research project in and for the community (I studied the feasibility of
opening a school based health centre at a local high school), but I also
gained self discipline, critical analysis skills, and writing skills.  I also
had many opportunities to gain practical experience during my Masters degree.
I worked on 5 writing and research contracts while working towards my degree,
as well as several research assistanceships.

I can also endorse the suggestions made by other respondents that you
volunteer your time somewhere.  I started out as a volunteer birth control and
pregnancy counsellor, then volunteered at AIDS organizations, applying to
every job as it was posted until eventually I was hired.

I wish you all of the best in finding a way into this exciting profession.

Yours in good health,

K. Mana Herel
Program Consultant, HIV/AIDS Division
Health Canada