Sender:
From:
"Bell-Woodard, Georgia SDH" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:57:19 -0600
Hi Lilley,
The Saskatchewan Public Health Association faced exactly your dilemma - how
to educate the general public about health determinants.  Our solution was
for our small Social Justice and Equity Committee to brainstorm some of the
key issues and then contract with a well-known (now former) newpaper writer
who had shown an interest in the area, and to link her up with some
community groups who could, through their stories, illustrate the points we
wanted to make.  So, it became a series of newspaper-ready short articles
(six, I think) about the good work and transformative experiences people
were having working in community projects, such as housing or building
social support.  These articles would be available through the SPHA -
president is Joan Riemer, who works at the Regina Public Health Unit.  Good
luck!