Sender:
From:
Michelle Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:39:25 -0400
Greetings,

Try the ArtToday Web site: www.arttoday.com. I just recommended this site to
someone else today, because unlike many others it works well for health
information/promotion resources. We use it here for some of our patient ed.
stuff. Here are a few reasons why I like it:

- It has thousands of graphics in its database, and of many different styles
(line drawings, colour, photos, etc. etc. etc.)
- You can use them copyright-free, once you've signed up as a member.
- A search even for very specific subjects brings up a wide range of options to
choose from. Most are Web format, but many are also available in WPD or EPS
formats (which work with word processors and graphics software)
- It is cheap! ($28 US for a basic annual membership, $78 US for a full
membership -- the difference is in how many graphics are available for free with
the membership; otherwise you have to pay per-picture. We've got a basic
membership, and a bunch of us from log in with one password from our personal
workstations).
- It's easy to use: once subscribed, you log in, search, and start downloading.

Also, the Health Canada site has a few images that they also make available
copyright-free. I don't have the link, but it's called "healthy images" if you
do a search from their main page: www.hc-sc.gc.ca

A word of caution for both of these: anytime you're using clip art, you run the
risk of not truly reflecting your audience's needs, especially where your
audience is a very specific group of folks. Therefore, I'd try to test all
graphics with some sample readers, before deciding to use them. Otherwise, you
may find that if you cannot prepare your own custom drawings, the piece may be
better off without them anyway, if they interfere with--instead of helping--the
message you want to get across.

Hope that helps,
Michelle

Michelle Black
Plain Language Writer
Health Communication Service
Centre for Health Information and Promotion (CHIP)

The Hospital for Sick Children
Toronto, Ontario
(416) 813-7286