Sender:
From:
Susan Santiago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:56:50 -0400
Hi Deborah - I hope its not too late to contribute some information about
the Motherisk Program.  Motherisk is a counselling and research program at
The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto that provides evidence-based
information about the risk or safety of medications, drugs of abuse,
chemicals and disease during pregnancy and lactation.  Established in 1985,
Motherisk operates several telephone information lines, including 3
national, toll-free services:

Alcohol and Substance Use Helpline - 1-877-327-4636 - for information about the fetal effects of
alcohol, nicotine and drugs like marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy.  Helpline counsellors also refer
callers to support programs in the callers' home community/province.  The Alcohol and Substance
Use Helpline is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in each of Canada's time  zones.

Nausea and Vomiting of Pregnancy Helpline - 1-800-436-8477 - for information on "morning
sickness" and how to treat it.  Open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.  EST.

HIV and HIV Treatment in Pregnancy - 1-888-246-5840 - for  information about the possible
effects of HIV and HIV treatment during pregnancy.  Open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
EST.

Motherisk's Home Line - (416) 813-6780 - for information about the  risk or safety of prescription
and over-the-counter drugs, herbal products, chemicals, x-rays, chronic disease and infections
during pregnancy. [This is a toll call to our Toronto call centre. Callers may have to wait up to 10
minutes to speak to a counsellor.]  Open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.  EST.

I would be happy to provide more information about Motherisk, or you can visit our website at
http://www.motherisk.org.

Thank you.

"Leach, Deborah MCF:EX" <[log in to unmask]>@YORKU.CA> on
10/16/2001 01:33:48 PM

Please respond to Health Promotion on the Internet <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  Health Promotion on the Internet <[log in to unmask]>