Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:35:47 -0500
So much for the university as a beacon of free thought and inquiry!

Dennis
---------------------- Forwarded by Dennis Raphael/Atkinson on 12/12/2001 09:38
AM ---------------------------

"David Hulchanski" <[log in to unmask]> on 12/12/2001 07:46:28 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

 To:       "- CUCS distribution llist"

 cc:       "Michael R. Marrus" <[log in to unmask]>,
           "Donald Cormack" <[log in to unmask]>,
           "Susan Bloch-Nevitte"
           <[log in to unmask]>(bcc: Dennis
           Raphael/Atkinson)

 Subject:  The City and the University:  in the national news
           today

The UofT is in the national news again -- this time for
preventing publication of an article analyzing urban trends.
The article was commissioned by the UofT for the UofT
Magazine and is written by John Lorinc, Toronto Life
magazine's respected civic-affairs columnist.

The Globe and Mail quotes John Lorinc:  "A university has a
role to play in criticizing and debating social policy. ...
This university, to its credit, is engaged in the public
debate with all three levels of government. [The] article
contains well-founded criticisms of the current state of not
just Toronto, but of Canadian cities generally. It's amazing
to me that it would be seen as hurting building
applications."

In case you missed it, the full text of the Globe article is
below.

I have not seen the article by John Lorinc yet.  The Globe
notes that it contains "material from interviews with or
publications by several U of T scholars intimate with the
city's problems."

David
______________________________________

J. David Hulchanski, PhD, MCIP
Director, Centre for Urban and Community Studies
Professor, Faculty of Social Work
University of Toronto

Tel 416 978-4093;  Fax 416 978-7162

http://www.hnc.utoronto.ca
http://www.housingagain.web.net

The Globe and Mail
Wednesday, December 12, 2001

? Print Edition, Page A20 U of T MAGAZINE ARTICLE KILLED By James Adams National Arts Correspondent A University of Toronto administrator has axed the cover story for a forthcoming issue of U of T Magazine, in part because its "cynical, very negative view" might have harmed the university's relations with the city. Susan Bloch-Nevitte, director of U of T's department of public affairs, took the action late last week, just days before the commissioned 4,000-word piece was to have gone to the printer as the lead story for the magazine's winter-2002 issue. It was written by John Lorinc, Toronto Life magazine's award-winning civic-affairs columnist. Ms. Bloch-Nevitte said yesterday that she offered Mr. Lorinc the chance to rework the article, a heavily researched look at Toronto's myriad social, political and environmental problems. But yesterday Mr. Lorinc, who was paid $3,500 for the piece, announced, "I'm not going to change it," saying it had already gone through two or three rewrites and been given the okay by the magazine's editor, Karen Hanley. Ms. Bloch-Nevitte killed the article in her function as publisher of U of T Magazine, which comes out four times a year and circulates to an estimated 350,000 alumni around the world. "I saw [the Lorinc article] at a late date, later than I should have, and I'm sorry for that, but when I did read it, I thought it was extremely unbalanced," she said. While "beautifully written," it was "a near-rant against the city, the city's municipal leaders, the province, the federal government," she added. Ms. Bloch-Nevitte noted that the U of T is currently involved in sensitive negotiations with the city about constructing as many as six high-rise residence towers between Queen's Park Crescent and St. George Street. "This university deals with the city all the time," she said. "It has for 145 years and, hopefully, will do so for another 145. I just thought this one-sided perspective was not helpful in our relations with the city." Mr. Lorinc, who graduated from U of T in 1987, argued that his article was thoughtful and balanced. "The ideas in there are not just my ideas," he said, noting that he had included material from interviews with or publications by several U of T scholars intimate with the city's problems, including Beth Savan, a professor in the environmental studies program at Innis College and Councillor Jack Layton, co-chairman of the city's sustainability roundtable. "A university has a role to play in criticizing and debating social policy," Mr. Lorinc said. "This university, to its credit, is engaged in the public debate with all three levels of government. [The] article contains well-founded criticisms of the current state of not just Toronto, but of Canadian cities generally. It's amazing to me that it would be seen as hurting building applications." Ms. Bloch-Nevitte, who described Mr. Lorinc as having "a burr under his saddle on this one," added that she had other concerns about the piece. For one, it was "too Torontocentric." The piece needed more non-Toronto voices, she said, as well as "a more optimistic perspective" just for the sake of fairness.