Sender:
From:
Mamdouh Shubair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 10:53:07 -0500
Hello Health Promotion professionals and users on the
list,

I am a graduate student at the University of
Waterloo/Dept. of Health
Studies and Gerontology. As part of my thesis work, I
have collected data on
"place of birth" and "ethnicity" (same questions were
used by the Stats
Canada/NPHS -- National Population Health Survey
1996/97 and later).
The data has been collected in a random digit dial
(RDD) sample of the adult
population (18-65 years) in Peel Region, which is a
urban/suburban region in
the Southern-Central part of Canada.

My question is:  Has there been any standard
"higher-order" classification
criteria/groupings to aggregate ethnic subgroups
within a certain community
in Canada? Other than providing univariate frequencies
in the Census data,
provided by Stats Can, how was the ethnicity and place
of birth data used by
Stats Can?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Please see the
attached word document
(*.doc) of the "ethnicity" and "place of birth"
questions that I have used
(NPHS questions) in my survey to collect such data.

Regards,
- Mamdouh M. Shubair
PhD graduate student
Dept. Health Studies and Gerontology