Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:51:41 -0500
The following is an illustration of how governments can act as if they are
addressing health, but in reality are ignoring the key issues. The following is
a response to my letter expressing concerning about the Canadian Minister of
Health outlining "lifestyle" of preteens as a significant threat to the health
of Canadians. My response to this below. My original letter is below that!

dr
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                                                              |
|                                                                              |
|                                                                              |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |                                                             |
|          |                                                             |
|          |                                                             |
|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |                                                             |
| To:      | Dennis Raphael/Atkinson                                     |
|          |                                                             |
|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |                                                             |
| cc:      |                                                             |
|          |                                                             |
|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |                                                             |
|          |                                                             |
|          |                                                             |
|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|
|          |                                                             |
| Subject: | RE: Federal Health Minister and Obesity:                    |
|          |                                                             |
|----------+-------------------------------------------------------------|

March 6, 2002

Dear Dr. Raphael:

I wish to acknowledge and thank you for your e-mail dated February 24, 2002,
regarding the health of Canadians.  I have read your letter and have noted
your comments.

The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada recently released its Annual
Report Card on Canadians' Health. The Report Card warns that the lifestyles
of "tweens" (9 to 12-year-olds) could put them at risk for heart disease and
stroke as early as their thirties.  It's clear that prevention has to start
early in life.

Unfortunately, Canadian children eat too much junk and not enough nutritious
food. In a survey of 500 tweens, the Foundation found that only 14% ate the
recommended amount of fruit and vegetables. Close to half don't get enough
exercise. And though 88% of parents know that second-hand smoke is bad for
children, a substantial number of children interviewed said they were
exposed to second-hand smoke in their own homes. By the way, children whose
parents smoke are twice as likely to take up the habit themselves.

High fat diets, inactivity and smoking are all serious risk factors for
future heart disease.
Heart disease and stroke are the number one killers in Canada, striking one
in three people. Cardiovascular problems also take a terrible toll in terms
of pain and disability. Health Canada works with the ten Provincial
Departments of Health, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada and over
1000 other organizations to prevent heart disease.

A key area of the government's involvement is in the prevention of disease
and promotion of healthier lifestyles - something that we hear a lot about,
and we are going to hear a lot more about. Whether it is tougher warnings on
tobacco packaging, nutritional data, or information on the importance of
exercise, our goal must be to keep people well, rather than simply treating
them when they are ill.

Thank you for writing to me.

Yours truly,

Sarmite D. Bulte, M.P.
Parkdale-High Park

With respect, they are NOT serious risk factors.  The serious risk factors are
unemployment, poverty and hoplenessness. Consider reading the attached (my heart
health monograph),

Best wishes,

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Undergraduate Programme Director
School of Health Policy & Management
Atkinson Faculty of Liberal & Professional Studies
York University
4700 Keele St.
Toronto ON M3J 1P3
Ph: 416-736-2100 ext. 22134