Sender:
From:
"Coleman, Brenda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:55:56 -0500
We all agree that lower income is, on average, associated with poorer
health. Many arguments appear to be that low income is "causing" poorer
health. We should not forget that poorer health (whether physical or mental)
often leads to lower income. Humans are complex beings (thank goodness),
which makes research such an interesting field of work. When doing research
we need to remember that "one size does not fit all" and that we need to
look at all of the determinants of health - for all segments of the
population. Reducing poverty is a laudible goal, but so is the reduction of
risky behaviours. If we didn't try to change behaviours, drinking and
driving would still be legal.

Brenda L. Coleman