Sender:
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:43:53 -0500
8bit
From:
Jean-Marc Dupont <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,

Dennis Raphael posted a press release here a couple of days ago which
dealt with Michael  Hayes' (Simon Fraser University, Canada)  comments
and studies relating to the media's "tunnel vision" (i.e. coverage
dealing more issues of the medical model, rather  than
preventive/health promotion approaches). None of this should come as
much of a surprise to those of us working in HP.  What it does do
however, is suggest that media is a potentially huge "contributor
domain" to the health of populations and of  course individuals. Many
of us over the years have been offered courses on how to deal with the
media, getting us to try to "think like them", understand their
"realities", learn about their deadlines and even thinking in "sound
bites" or "factoids".

My point here is that while most of us in HP think we understand the
role media have to play (think back to our early social marketing days
- and I'm sure many of my fellow Canadians will remember the
ParticipAction ads of the 1970s burned in their  brains), we rarely
truly think of them as allies just needing some educating.

The press release mentioned:  [...snip...] "We found that an
overwhelming number of health stories in major newspapers deal
obsessively with shortages in  healthcare services and funding, and
medical discoveries." [...snip...]

With all do respect to Mr. Hayes, I don't think this itself is news
(excuse the pun! : ) and while I appreciate more formal research - at
quite an expense might I add - is going in to this, I would like to
encourage us *all* to take every opportunity possible to make links
with the media and help them learn *our* realities. For example, for a
few a few years now I have spoken to a Carleton University (Ottawa,
Canada) class of fourth year Journalism students on the topic of the
determinants of health - mainly in western society. I was astounded
last time around at how many upcoming journalists thought that they
themselves probably won't be allowed to decide how stories should be
covered or written. I was literally in shock at the thought that what
I thought was the next generation of "watchdogs of our society", had
lost their idealism before even graduating. "The editorial policies of
the papers we'll be working for are already set you know!"

The press release goes on the add [...snip...] "Research shows that
risk factors for mortality as presented in the media often don't jive
at all with the empirical evidence," says  Hayes. He adds this kind of
reporting feeds public pressure for short term, immediate solutions
to  health care shortages. Policy makers need to second the news
media's help in shifting public opinion if we are to focus on early
developmental and life long  factors that influence health outcomes
over the life course, says Hayes.

Well I would guess so! (to both points he raises there) I think it's
up to more than just the policy makers to bring journalists on-board.
How can we blame them anyhow for thinking what most of the population
thinks?

I guess that's my point ...let's all get out there and get them as
soon as possible with the right educational messages. Volunteer to
speak in university and college journalism classes. Research studies
are fine (and needed I am sure), but with little effort, we can all
make links with journalists. Not just when we need them to cover a
story for us or when we advocate for a cause, but to help them make
sense of what - let’s be honest here - is not the most intuitive of
concepts to grasp.

While there may have been a few cynics in the room, there definitely
were also a few who I saw a light bulb turn on when I started giving
them a framework to deal with all this stuff about multisectoral
determinants of health.  A couple of them even thanked me for helping
them make sense of  “these complicated issues”, as they said. Course
instructors are often on the lookout for guest speakers and I am sure
would appreciate your time.

Just thought I'd share this story while stuck in the middle of winter
still here in Ottawa, Canada! Hope it’s warmer where you are!

Regards to all,
JM Dupont

--
Jean-Marc Dupont