Sender:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:49:29 -0400
7bit
From:
Susan Himel <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
hi steve:
i was wondering if you had any responses to your inquiry? i do research for
an econ. evaluation of prevention programs website
(www.prevention-dividend.com), and would be interested in knowing if an
evaluation exists [and if any cost-benefit analysis (or costing data) was
done in particular].  i have had a difficult time finding any info on econ
costing/evaluation of suicide prevention programs in canada or elsewhere...

if you haven't already, try contacting the project directly to find out if
there is an evaluation done or planned--
http://yellowribbon.org/
For more information:
Please contact
Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention ProgramR
P.O. Box 644 Westminster, CO 80036-0644 USA
(303) 429-3530   Fax: (303) 426-4496
LFLI/YRSPP is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.

i have found a few general things that might be of interest on the internet:

1. from http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/m0031525/m0031525.asp
"The effectiveness of suicide prevention programs has not been demonstrated.
The lack of evaluation research is the single greatest obstacle to improving
current efforts to prevent suicide among adolescents and young adults.
Without evidence to support the potential of a program for reducing suicidal
behavior, recommending one approach over another for any given population is
difficult."
Reference: CDC. Youth suicide prevention programs: a resource guide.
Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service,
CDC, 1992.
Youth Suicide Prevention Programs: A Resource Guide:
http://aepo-xdv-www.epo.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/p0000024/p0000024.asp

2. National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action
http://www.mentalhealth.org/publications/allpubs/SMA01-3517/
Chapter 4
http://www.mentalhealth.org/publications/allpubs/SMA01-3517/ch4.asp
The methodological problems inherent in conducting suicide prevention
research have led to the current situation, in which considerably less is
known about effective programs than is desirable; nevertheless, some
interventions have proven effective and others appear promising but, are in
need of evaluation (Silverman & Felner, 1995). The term "evidence-based" is
often used to suggest the importance of implementing those interventions
that have scientific evidence of effectiveness.
[reference :  Silverman, M.M., & Felner, R.D. (1995). Suicide prevention
programs: Issues of design, implementation, feasibility, and developmental
appropriateness. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 25, 93-105.]
This document includes an extensive list of references that may be useful:
http://www.mentalhealth.org/publications/allpubs/SMA01-3517/references.asp

3.  This journal is frequently mentioned in these references and could be
checked for useful info on this topic generally:
Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior is a quarterly journal --Official
publication of the American Association of Suicidology-- It is published by
Guilford Press, NY

hope that helps.
susan

Susan Himel