Sender:
From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:05:49 -0600
NEW ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE
1. Our new partner

2. What's in the new Research Update?

3. Reprinting Research Update

4. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

1. OUR NEW PARTNER
Research Update is a free, quarterly publication that profiles current
research in physical activity. Over the last few years Research Update has
had a very fruitful partnership with the Alberta Cancer Board, Division of
Epidemiology, Prevention, and Screening. We appreciate the many excellent
articles on cancer prevention produced by the Alberta Cancer Board for
Research Update.

We now have a new partner--the Dietitians of Canada--who will help us
produce two issues of Research Update a year, starting with January's issue.
We are very pleased that Dr. Ann Casebeer from the University of Calgary has
produced an article on Healthy Public Policy for this September issue.

2. WHAT'S IN THE NEW RESEARCH UPDATE?
September's Research Update is now available on the web at
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/Publications/RePublications.html.

September's issue includes the following articles:

- "The Effect of Exercise on Self-Esteeem: Is It Global or Domain-Specific?"
by Kerry McGannon, PhD, Research Associate, Alberta Centre for Active
Living, and John C. Spence, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Physical
Education and Recreation, University of Alberta;

- "Healthy Public Policy or Hollow Political Prose: How Much Progress Have
We Really Made?" by Ann Casebeer, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of
Community Health Sciences, and Associate Director of the Centre for Health
and Policy Studies, University of Calgary.

3. REPRINTING RESEARCH UPDATE
If you would like to reprint Research Update in your publication or post it
on your web site, please contact Kathy Garnsworthy at 1-780-415-6248 or

If you know someone who would like to be added to our mailing list, please
contact Margaret Burns at [log in to unmask]

4. OTHER NEWS FROM THE ALBERTA CENTRE FOR ACTIVE LIVING
- Web site survey. We'd like to hear from you! Please tell us what you think
of our web site. Simply go to any homepage on our site
(www.centre4activeliving.ca) and click on "Web site survey" at the top
right-hand part of the page.

- Find out what we've been doing over the last year. The Alberta Centre for
Active Living's Annual Report is now available on our web site. Click on
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/new.html to link to the report.

- We've added a Media Room to our web site to help members of the media get
useful information quickly from our site. Click on
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/ContactUs/MediaRoom.html to view this new
feature.

- Older Adults Ever Active! The newly developed Ever Active Adults course is
now being delivered across Alberta (coordinated through the Alberta Centre
for Active Living).  This course is for lodge activity coordinators and
other practitioners who provide activity programming in seniors' housing
facilities. Course participants will learn how to improve physical activity
participation and provide effective active living programming to meet the
needs of all lodge residents.

For information and upcoming course locations and dates, please visit our
web site at www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/EEA.html, or
contact Timothy Fairbank, Older Adult Coordinator at
780 427-7938 or [log in to unmask]

Kathy Garnsworthy
Communications and Marketing Coordinator
Alberta Centre for Active Living
Tel.: 780 415-6248/Fax: 780 455-2092 (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday)
Web site: www.centre4activeliving.ca