Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:57:11 -0600
From:
Mona Dupré-Ollinik <[log in to unmask]>
November 28, 2002
**For Immediate Release**

>From the National Coordinating Group on Women and Health Reform and the
Canadian Women’s Health Network:

The Romanow Report: What Does it Mean for Women?

We applaud Romanow for demonstrating the sustainability of Medicare. A
publicly funded system delivered through non-profit services is crucial for
all women in Canada.

But like other reports on health care reform in the last decade, this report
fails to recognize the significant ways in which health care is an issue for
women. Women are 80% of paid health care providers, a similar proportion of
those providing unpaid personal care and a majority of those receiving care,
especially among the elderly.
The sustainability of the system is not just about finances -- it’s about
women’s work.

As paid workers women provide medical, nursing and diagnostic care as well
as cleaning, cooking and laundry services that are essential determinants of
health in the delivery of care. By drawing a distinction between “direct”
and “ancillary” health care services, Romanow ignores the skilled nature of
women’s paid work and their contributions to care. Moreover, he fails to
make recommendations to address the deteriorating conditions women face in
providing care.

Women also sustain the system as unpaid health care providers. Romanow’s
report fails to adequately address the full range of home care women
provide, especially long-term and chronic care. While he reports “that
caregiving is becoming an increasing burden on many in our society,
especially women,” his recommendation for caregiver leave through the
Employment Insurance Program will not benefit the many women who do not have
forms of paid work that would make them eligible for such leave.
Romanow recognizes gender as a determinant of health. He also offers
valuable recommendations for primary health care reform that could benefit
women, but only if attention is paid to women’s particular needs. Finally,
although women constitute up to 3/4 of those in long-term care facilities,
the report is virtually silent on these services.

Sustaining an efficient, affordable and effective health care system must
mean sustaining women in providing and receiving care. Like Romanow, we
agree that “we need more than rhetoric; we need action”. We need to make
the health care system work for women.

For interviews, contact:
Dr. Pat Armstrong, Chair
National Coordinating Group on Health Care Reform and Women,
The Centres of Excellence for Women’s Health Program
Phone: (647) 292-2216
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.cewh-cesf.ca/en/index.html
Or:
Kathleen O’Grady, Director of Communications
Canadian Women’s Health Network
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (514) 886-2526; Fax: (204) 989-2355
Website: http://www.cwhn.ca

Mona Dupré-Ollinik, BSW, BA
Coordonatrice de liaison/Outreach Coordinator
Canadian Women's Health Network/Réseau canadien pour la santé des femmes
419, avenue Graham, Suite 203
Winnipeg (MB) R3C 0M3

Tel: (204) 942-5500 ext,/poste 13
Fax/Télécopieur: (204) 989-2355
Toll free/Numéro sans frais: 1-888-818-9172
www.cwhn.ca
e-mail/courriel: [log in to unmask]

TTY 204-942-2806
TTY toll free number 1-866-694-6367