Sender:
From:
Carolyn Mackie & Rob Percival <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:03:34 -0500
At 10:54 AM 3/20/97 +1000, you wrote:

>If you work in a university offering undergraduate programs relevant to
>health promotion, or know of such universities, I'd love to hear from you.
>Details of Deakin University's Bachelor of Applied Science (Health
>Promotion) degree can be found on the web at
>http://www2.deakin.edu.au/handbooks/health-h313.htm.
>

>Bernie Marshall
>School of Nutrition and Public Health
>Deakin University
>221 Burwood Hwy
>BURWOOD 3125
>Australia
>
>Tel: (+61 3) 9244 6822
>Fax: (+ 61 3) 9244 6032

Hello Bernie - Although I don't work in a university offering undergrad.
programs in h.p., as a recent M.Sc. graduate in the field, I feel confident
that I can recommend programs to you based on my own academic experiences.
I recently graduated with a Master's degree in Community Health and
Epidemiology from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.  I did my
undergrad. degree at the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario. I can
highly recommend the courses offered in the Health Studies program at
Waterloo - there are courses pertaining to research, program evaluation,
program planning, theory, biology, biochemistry.  It was an excellent
program for me to have graduated from and my undergraduate academic
experience was highly relevant to my graduate degree program.  You may want
to contact Nancy Poole (the department secretary) about further information
or a more appropriate contact person.  Although I don't know her extension,
the school switchboard number is (519) 885-1211 and you could then ask for
Nancy in the Dept. of Health Studies and Gerontology.

At Dalhousie, I know they have an undergraduate program in Health Education
(which is likely what you are interested in) as well as two separate
post-grad. programs - one in Health Education and then the one I graduate
from, Community Health and Epidemiology.  The latter is housed within the
Faculty of Medicine and is more research oriented while the former is part
of the School of Recreation, Physical, and Health Education and pertains
more to program planning and implementation although there is a basis
research element to it (i.e. required stats and research methods courses).
A contact name for the Health Education program (both undergraduate and
graduate) is Dr. Larry Maloney.  He is the Dept. Director and his phone is
(902) 494-3829.  The Dept. of Community Health and Epidemiology graduate
coordinator is Dr. Susan Kirkland and her phone is (902) 494-1235.
Unfortunately, there is no CH&E undergraduate program at this time.

Hope this information is helpful.

Carolyn Mackie
Carolyn Mackie & Rob Percival
213-222 The Esplanade