Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 21:04:59 -0400
Stephen Bezruchka <[log in to unmask]>@u.washington.edu on 05/15/2003
08:43:55 PM

Good news from Minnesota - dr

We at the Minnesota Department of Health, along with our academic,
business, and community partners, are working on "refreshing" our statewide
goals. Minnesota is currently the only state with a Healthy People 2010
goal specifically addressing social conditions and health.

Our workgroup on "refreshing" goal 18 (Foster the understanding and
promotion of social conditions that support health) is looking for
published articles, working documents, or other items of interest that may
help us convert social conditions to health conditions to direct and
indirect costs related to these health conditions.  An example of a type of
article or the type of information we would like to use is as follows:

"Increased morbidity and mortality rates in urban areas are well
documented and stress related health conditions, namely depression,
hypertension, and heart conditions, have been found to be associated with
social conditions in the urban environment.  For example, the two point
increase in the national unemployment rate between 1990 and 1992 is
estimated to have caused an additional 35,307 deaths from heart disease,
2771 deaths from stroke, 1459 additional homicides, and 62,607 violent
crimes."  (Data source:  Merva, M. and Fowles, R.  Effect of Diminished
Economic Opportunities on Social Stress:  Heart Attacks, Strokes, and
Crime.  Economic Policy Institute.)

Using the above example, we could attempt to convert these health
conditions to direct health care costs and estimate indirect costs to
corrections, education systems, etc.

Please submit any of these types of references to me.  If you have any
other input regarding the drafting of possible objectives or measurable
indicators related to social conditions and health, please submit these as
well.  Thanks!

Kristen Tharaldson, Planner
Office of Public Health Practice
Community Health Division