Sender:
From:
"Ardiles, Paola" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:58:58 -0700

FYI

Economic Governance for Health

Engaging the health community in global economic reform

________________________________

Dear Friends,

We live in a profoundly unequal world. Over-consumption in wealthy
countries sends us speeding toward environmental crisis, even as most of
the world's people live on less than around $4 per day - the critical
threshold below which life expectancy is estimated to fall due to
poverty.[i] <outbind://6/#_edn1>  The current global recession offers an
even worse prognosis for the world's poor and the failed promise of
health for all.

But crisis also opens the way for change.

Answering this challenge, a new initiative - Economic Governance for
Health (EG4Health) - aims to harness the voice and public health mandate
of the global health community. In partnership with other civil society
groups, we seek fundamental reforms of the global economic system in
favor of just, climate-friendly and pro-health development.

At the root of EG4Health are three simple points:

*
	The global economy is critically important to health, especially
in developing countries
*
	 If we hope to achieve global health equity, we must first
restore democracy and fair play to the world's economic system, free
from the undue influence of wealth and power
*
	The global health community must engage with the required
reforms to the governance of the global economy

Visit www.eg4health.org <http://www.eg4health.org/>  and add your voice
<http://www.eg4health.org/join-us/>  to a growing movement of health
professionals, academics, and advocates around the world who believe
that the time for change is now.

Sincerely,

Economic Governance for Health

[i] <outbind://6/#_ednref1>  Edward P. The ethical poverty line: a moral
quantification of absolute poverty. Third World Quarterly
2006;37(2):377-93.