From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:09:31 -0400
2001 28

 July ) From www.bmj.com Editor's choice Social exclusion: old problem, new name In 1842 the BMJ published an editorial deploring that "a professional man, a gentleman, or the family of such living in Bath" could expect to live into their 50s, whereas labourers and their families in Liverpool could expect no more than 15 years of life. In 1865 the Lancet set up a special commission to inquire into London workhouse infirmaries. The commission was instigated by Ernest Hart, who later became the greatest editor of the BMJ. He helped to start the Association for the Improvement of Workhouse Infirmaries, which included Charles Dickens and John Stuart Mill as members. The principal feature of the BMJ during the three decades of Hart's editorship was its emphasis on social medicine. More than a century later the BMJ is concerned with the same issues, but we seem to lack the vision, vigour, and optimism of Hart. This is not a theme issue that we planned a year ago. This issue has arisen because we noticed that we had accepted for publication many studies that related to social exclusion. Rather than scatter the studies through several issues we decided to bring them together. Why are there so many studies? One answer is the huge increase in social inequity that occurred in Britain in the 1980s. The number of children living in poverty tripled during the '80s, "catapaulting the UK to the highest rates of any country in the European Union" (p 175). These increases were partly the result of global forces and partly the result of political choices. Then came a change of government, with a new emphasis on social exclusion. Among other initiatives, it funded research into social exclusion. Social exclusion is defined as "the inability of our society to keep all groups and individuals within reach of what we expect as a society and the tendency to push vulnerable and difficult individuals into the least popular places." The result is that children living in poverty may enter a cycle of poor educational achievement, unmanageable behaviour, drug misuse, unemployment, teenage pregnancy, homelessness, crime, and suicide. This is hugely expensive for society, not only in human but also in economic terms (p 191). It can also lead to a society that is unpleasant for all. These problems are not uniquely British<Picture: --->and some studies (p 207) and commentaries (p 197) are from outside Britain<Picture: --->but Britain leads the world in this research, because it has both severe problems and a long history of studying them. What might depress Hart if he were to return would not be so much the continuation of the problems, but the failure of a great social experiment<Picture: --->the NHS<Picture: --->to make important inroads into them (pp 177 and 179). Footnotes To receive Editor's choice by email each week subscribe via our website: www.bmj.com/cgi/customalert ------------------------------------------------------------------------ © BMJ 2001 <Picture>PDF of this article <Picture>Send a response to this article <Picture>Related editorials in BMJ <Picture>Other related articles in BMJ <Picture>Download to Citation Manager <Picture>Alert me when: <Picture>New articles cite this article Related editorials in BMJ: Policies to tackle social exclusion. Graham Watt BMJ 2001 323: 175-176. [Full text] Social capital. Tom Welsh and Mike Pringle BMJ 2001 323: 177-178. [Full text] One Bristol, but there could have been many. Richard Smith BMJ 2001 323: 179-180. [Full text] Other related articles in BMJ: PAPERS Financial cost of social exclusion: follow up study of antisocial children into adulthood. Stephen Scott, Martin Knapp, Juliet Henderson, and Barbara Maughan BMJ 2001 323: 191. [Abstract] [Abridged text] [Full text] PAPERS Multicentre controlled trial of parenting groups for childhood antisocial behaviour in clinical practice ? Commentary: nipping conduct problems in the bud. Stephen Scott, Quentin Spender, Moira Doolan, Brian Jacobs, Helen Aspland, and Carolyn Webster-Stratton BMJ 2001 323: 194. [Abstract] [Abridged text] [Full text] PAPERS Mortality in children registered in the Finnish child welfare registry: population based study. Mirjam Kalland, Tiina H Pensola, Jouni Meriläinen, and Jari Sinkkonen BMJ 2001 323: 207-208. [Full text] ------------------------------------------------------------------------ HomeHelpSearch/ArchiveFeedbackTable of Contents<Picture: BMJ><Picture: For Health Professionals>