From:
DKProj Mgt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:01:07 -0500
Dear Colleague:

The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) publishes the
quarterly bulletin Alcohol Alert, a summary of research findings for
professionals.  On behalf of NIAAA, I am writing to inform you about the
latest issue of Alcohol Alert, "Are Women More Vulnerable to Alcohol’s
Effects?" which we believe will interest you and your colleagues.

This Alcohol Alert examines gender differences in alcohol’s effects and
considers some factors that may place women at risk for alcohol-related
problems.  Enoch Gordis, M.D., Director of NIAAA, points out that "the
alcohol research field has begun to recognize the importance of
understanding gender differences in how alcohol is used, in the consequences
of alcohol use, and in the development of alcohol dependence.  The more
science can tell us about gender-related aspects of alcohol-related
problems- not only what they are but why- the better job we will be able to
do to prevent and treat those problems in all populations."

NIAAA invites you to print a brief announcement about the availability of
"Are Women More Vulnerable to Alcohol’s Effects?" on your organization’s
Web-site as well as in your publications or mailings.  You may request
quantities of this free bulletin for distribution to your members by writing
to the address below.  To access the Alcohol Alert online visit NIAAA’s
Web-site at www.niaaa.nih.gov, where you will also find a variety of
brochures and pamphlets that outline effective steps to help reduce problem
drinking.  The direct URL for this Alcohol Alert is:
http://silk.nih.gov/silk/niaaa1/publication/aa46.htm

All issues of Alcohol Alert are in the public domain and may be summarized
or reprinted without permission.  Should you decide to publicize "Are Women
More Vulnerable to Alcohol’s Effects?" to your colleagues, please inform me
so that I can accurately track the success of our efforts.  This exchange
will give you the opportunity to provide your members with information from
the lead Federal agency conducting and supporting research in the alcohol
field.  I look forward to your response.  If you have any questions or would
like to discuss other ways to reach your colleagues with this important
information, please call me at (202) 842-7600, ext. 237 or e-mail me at

Sincerely,

Christopher S. Mohan
Marketing Coordinator

For copies of Alcohol Alert, please write:
NIAAA Publications Distribution Center
Attn: Alcohol Alert
P.O. Box 10686
Rockville, MD 20849-0686