From:
Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 20:53:45 -0600
Hello.  I am posting the following request from Lewis Williams, a
participatory action researcher from Aotearoa/New Zealand.  If you think
you can help her, please contact her directly at her e-mail address:

Greetings Canadian community workers and health promoters!

My name is Lewis Williams from Aotearoa/New Zealand.  I have been doing
some doctoral research around how economically deprived communities become
more self determining for health and wellbeing.  I am planning a Canadian
component to my research.

One of my supervisors is Ron Labonte, who has suggested I introduce myself
and my research to this list-serv.  I am interested in interviewing
community health workers on their experiences in similar work in Canada.  I
will be in Canada during the months of April and May this year.

To help focus my research, I would like to interview community health
workers (or research practitioners) who have been working with a community
of economically and ethnically marginalised women for a minimum of nine
months or more in a process of engaging in policy debate or some related
social action to influence policy; and who have been working with the group
to promote personal and group empowerment (sometimes referred to as
capacity building), especially around new skills and roles for action and
advocacy.

Due to travel costs, I am probably only going to be able to meet with
community workers in the
Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa areas.  Interviews would take about 90 minutes.

If you decide that you are able to help, please e-mail me promptly at:

I will send you a longer description of my work, and begin to organize with
you a time for the
interview.

Thanks for your time and attention in reading this.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lewis Williams (Ms)
School of Social Policy and Social Work, Massey University Albany, Auckland.
_________________________

Ronald Labonte, Director
Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit
Universities of Regina and Saskatchewan
Professor, Community Health and Epidemiology
College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan   S7N 5E5
phone:  (306) 966-2349
fax:       (306) 966-7920
e-mail:   [log in to unmask]