From:
"Plaskett, Jenny" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:52:13 +1000
Roxanne,
 I definitely agree that a multistrategic approach is necessary with regard
to nutrition in schools. 'Banning' junk food in schools could have a
disastrous effect on children. Isn't this the good food/ bad food,
controlling philosophy that we're trying to steer away from (given the
number of people who have poor eating behaviours & cant relax and enjoy food
without guilt or shame?)

I think it's important to have plenty of healthy options available on the
canteen menu but this must be supported by a 'whole of school approach' -
classroom nutrition activities, school health policy, food preparation
skills, vegetable gardening etc etc. The school community - children, staff
and parents need to be involved with the whole process. Only then is it
likely to be effective. Ultimatums of this kind are not what children need
and are unlikely to change their behaviour. If the 'absence of junk food' on
the canteen menu is the outcome of school community involvement then it is
much more likely to be effective than a command from on high.

I am a firm believer in getting children to enjoy food via cooking,
gardening and understanding the big picture when it comes to food
production, the environment, how the body works etc. It's surprising the
conclusions they can come to themselves without being told what is good or
bad for them.

In Australia the 'Smart Card' has been introduced to some school canteens -
this gives parents some control over what their child can spend and the food
choices they are able to make. Do people in other countries have experience
with such a system? I'd be interested to hear your views.

Jenny Plaskett
Dietitian
ACT Community Care