From:
"Robeson, Paula" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:08:10 -0500
I certainly did not intend to oversimplify the issue. I realize the
complexities inherent in population health promotion. In spite of the
sarcastic tone, I do not disagree with your point of view.

I blamed no one. Nor would I support the views of anyone who did. I do
realize that the "bag of choices" that some people have to select from are
smaller than that of many others. In fact, I have worked extensively with
families who must choose from options that are unacceptable. Many had no
refridgeration and cooked on hot plates. There was no cash at the end of the
month and little at all once the rent was paid. Fresh fruit and veggies are
financially out of the question. Many of these mothers went hungry in order
that their children could eat. Often the shelters and housing units in which
they live were closer to fast food joints than markets and there was no car
and absolutely no money in the budget for public transportation to get
there. Even if they could get to such facilities, there is no one to look
after the children. Their support networks are limited. Their children
cannot participate fully in school life or at all in extracurricular
activities. Life can be choatic and stressful for these families. No I agree
with you on many points.

I am simply saying that efforts to address the social determinants of health
and to facilitate people's adoption of health promoting behaviours
(including the removal of socioeconomic barriers to participation through
policy changes such as those to ensure free opportunities and subsidies) are
important.

Some practitioners are engaged in both others are involved in one or the
other. All are essential to the promotion of the health of populations.

Paula Robeson