From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:15:19 -0400
[Note that Canadian poverty cut-offs are incredibly more appropriate than those
in the USA]

Jul. 29, 05:19 EDT
  Children are poverty's greatest victims: report

  OTTAWA (CP)

? Children are the main victims of long-term poverty in Canada, according to the latest statistics   compiled by the National Council of Welfare, with nearly one in five kids living in poor homes in 1999.   For the third straight year, the number of poor people in Canada dropped slightly in 1999 but there were still 4.9 million   Canadians living under the poverty line, according to the council ? an independent body that advises the minister of   Human Resources Development Canada.   The council said it was especially alarmed at the figures, provided by Statistics Canada, on long-term poverty over a   six-year period from 1993 to 1998. The highest rate for chronic poverty was among pre-school children.   "How do six-year olds who have spent all those critical developmental years in poverty have a fair chance in life," asked Allyce Herle, acting chair of the council.   "It is very hard for me to understand how Canadian governments and citizens tolerate this. We only pretend we value our children."   Herle called on political leaders, including the premiers who meet Wednesday in Halifax, to re-examine the country's   social safety net.   "Our patchwork system of social programs is clearly not doing what it takes to seriously address the causes and   consequences of poverty," she said.   The report also found:   ? Women were more likely to be poor than men, with poverty rates ranging from nine per cent higher for singles to 34   per cent higher for single parents.   ? Single-parent mothers with no high school diploma had the highest poverty rate at 82.3 per cent.   ? Forty-nine per cent of off-reserve aboriginals lived in poverty for at least one year between 1993 and 1998,   compared with about 30 per cent of all Canadians.   ? Nearly 43 per cent of immigrant visible minorities lived in poverty for at least one year between 1993 and 1998.   The report said the number of families and individuals living in poverty fell by 0.7 per cent in 1999, but the decrease didn't keep pace with Canada's economic growth rate of nearly 5 per cent over that same 1998-99 period.   "From the council's perspective this reflects stagnation at best rather than any real progress," said Herle.   "Our economic prosperity should have helped many more Canadians escape or avert poverty, including senior women living alone whose already-high poverty rate actually worsened in 1999."   The group used Statistics Canada figures for low-income families (pre-tax) as its poverty threshold. For example, a single person living in a big city and earning less than $17,886 was considered poor. For a family of four in a big city, the cutoff was $33,658.   Herle urged the federal and provincial governments to increase minimum wage, improve child care and find more   affordable housing.   "Many low-income jobs are non-standard hours," she noted.   "If you're working at a Burger King or (if) you're working as a hotel clerk, you are not working a 9-to-5 job. You need   childcare that covers you from 11 to seven, through the night. And that simply is not available."   The council said it is concerned the fight against poverty has been slipping off the public agenda in Canada and that it will be more costly to remedy future problems than to invest wisely now.   "In contrast, European countries, faced with immediate concerns over how to pay the pension costs of an aging   population, are looking to the future and placing children, women and social inclusion high on the agenda," the council   said.