From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 10:32:46 -0400
an entire issue about auto injuries at bmj.com

bmj.com Customised @lerts: Editor's Choice for Saturday, 11 May 2002
bmj.com: http://bmj.com/
This issue's table of contents:
     http://bmj.com/content/vol324/issue7346/
Editor's Choice for this issue:
     http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/7346/0/j

 BMJ 2002;324 ( 11 May )

Editor's choice

Toxic complacency

How can we be so complacent about 3000 deaths and 30 000 serious injuries
every day as a result of road traffic crashes (p 1107)? That's about the
same number of deaths and many more injuries than resulted from the attack
on the World Trade Centre happening every day, year after year. Why is
there not worldwide demand for action rather than ignorance, indifference,
and evasiveness?

One reason is that the deaths and injuries happen every day. They are
"business as usual." And they are scattered. We can't see 3000 corpses in
one place. The deaths happen mostly in the poor world to the powerless[---
]to children and those too poor to afford a car or even a bus ride. We in
the rich world behave as if we are not at risk. But we are wrong. The
average person in a developed country has a one in a hundred chance of
being killed in a road traffic crash and a one in three chance of being
injured (p 1110).We are addicted. We can't imagine life without our cars,
so we pollute our environment, concrete over our countryside, and ignore
the carnage. Just like addicts we cannot stop ourselves despite the harm.

Vested interest is also at work. Concerted action by motor manufacturers
could reduce pedestrian deaths dramatically, but they oppose many of the
innovations that would be necessary. The manufacturers are not yet seen as
pariahs[---]as are tobacco manufacturers[---]but they might be wise to take
the lead in reducing deaths and injuries rather be forced by external
forces to take action.

Roger Browning explains on p 1165 why he was shaken out of his complacency.
His daughter was killed in a road crash. He and his wife were changed
forever, but "save for the impact on the immediate family, a death or
injury on the road changes nothing. No one notices. A train or aircraft
crash prompts massive, costly efforts to avoid repetition. A death on the
road barely makes the local newspaper." Browning is now a trustee of
RoadPeace, a charity for road traffic victims, and is convinced that our
perception of the car will alter. Generations from now people will look
back and wonder how we allowed things to get so out of hand.

This theme issue on the global toll from road traffic crashes will be part,
we hope, of raising consciousness about the scale of the problem and the
complete inadequacy of the response. Several research studies deepen our
understanding of road crashes, but generally there is far too little
research for such a major problem. One important lesson is that improvement
will come not from educating pedestrians on road safety but from changing
the whole environment (p 1129). We need better design of roads and cars and
a shift from car use to walking, cycling, and public transport. As this
issue rams home, this is a major[---]but largely neglected[---]public
health issue.

Footnotes

To receive Editor's choice by email each week subscribe via our website:
www.bmj.com/cgi/customalert