From:
Joe Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:46:54 +0200
Dennis- This is indeed a very "inclusive" report of the role of the
lifestyle work within the context of a "structural" and "social
determinants" model (population health) that all the people that I know
who work in the "lifestyle" field have been using for the past 20 years.
It is important however to have researchers like yourself continue to
reinforce the "integrated" and "inclusive" approach that we all need to
continue to use in our work in the lifestyle field. Thanks your for
continuing to remind us all how important it is to build our "lifestyle"
programs on a foundation of social determinants. For indeed without
understanding the "social determinants" of our critical lifestyle work,
we would not be able to achieve our goals of improving the health of all
Canadians.
Cheers,
Joseph Levy
Professor
Health Policy and Management
York University
and Director, Wellness Centre

Cited from the report:

"The authors conclude that a healthy lifestyle is an adaptation to one's
social environment. Unless lifestyle is constructed (as a category of
intervention) in concert with the way that lifestyle is experienced by
target group(s), interventions are unlikely to succeed. The strategies
for action set out in the Ottawa Charter are relevant to interventions
aimed at the interdependence of individuals and communities, with most
emphasis placed on strengthening communities, environments, and public
policy arenas. Social environments are complex. Therefore, we must
approach health issues and problems that recognize this complexity and
that are targeted at a number of determinants, and at more than one
level simultaneously.

--
ÐÏ à¡± á