From:
Farra Trompeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:02:06 -0400
Many of you have been addressing problems associated with college students and teens using Special K and other club drugs over the past few years since the trend first really became evident.  I wanted to share a recent article published on the topic (with separate versions for parents and youth) that I thought you could use in your own educational efforts.  Here is some information about it:

Ketamine is an animal tranquilizer, but did you know that it is also being used as a club drug?

Special K is a disassociative drug, meaning that the user loses the normal sense of connection between body and mind. It comes in tablet, powder, or liquid form. It's actually similar in appearance to cocaine and methamphetamine, and is sometimes mistaken for those drugs. In powder form, it's sometimes sprinkled on tobacco or marijuana and smoked. It also can be injected, but the tranquilizing effects of the drug are so powerful that users sometimes lose control of their bodies before they finish the injection. Large doses can lead to convulsions, brain damage, heart attack, stroke, coma, and even death.

More about Special K can be found on Reality Check and ForReal, substance abuse education sites for parents and teens, respectively.  Here are the links to our latest articles:

The K That Kills:

http://www.health.org/reality/articles/2002/specialk.asp (PARENTS)

http://www.forreal.org/know/specialk.asp (TEENS)

Feel free to use these articles on your site, and please include the source links to the original article if you do.

Thank you,

Farra Trompeter, Web Marketer

Social and Health Services/ORC Macro