From:
Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:56:16 -0600
I don't think the issue is one of placing health promotion against
population health, at least not any longer.  And, no, that's not because I
now find myself after 25 years in health promotion heading up a population
health unit.  Frankly, I don't like either term very much.  And, just as
frankly, people clustered under both have separately contributed quite
significantly to practice and policy knowledge, discourse and change in
healthier directions.

On the ground practice can be a political tool for healthier social change.

Research can be a political tool for healthier social change.

Both can pincer-like seek to influence public policy.

Most of us on this list have probably struggled to this from one or the
other or both ends.  Most of us probably still are.

I recall an OPHA conference in 1989 in Hamilton, where an older woman
(whose name I now forget) was honoured for her life-time of feminist and
community activism.  Even in 1989 there was much cause to feel
intellectually depressed about the possibility of have a fairer,
environmentally sustainable planet.  Her comment to this:  The most
important and hopeful political act we can engage in is to talk with people
about "the big issues."  At every opportunity.  Respectfully yet critically.

That's probably not the only political act that needs doing.  But it's one
we can all practice every day.  Done respectfully, it also has the curious
effect of making our own lives personally healthier and more fulfilling in
the process.
_________________________

Ronald Labonte, Director
Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit
Universities of Regina and Saskatchewan
Professor, Faculty of Activity Studies, University of Regina
Professor, Community Health and Epidemiology
College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
107 Wiggins Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan   S7N 5E5
phone:  (306) 966-2349
fax:       (306) 966-7920
e-mail:   [log in to unmask]