From:
Dawn Vallet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:15:49 -0600
Apologies for cross posting.

Below is a request from a friend in regards to falls prevention from
0-19 years. You can reply via email to me with information or directly
contact her (information below).

Thanks,
Dawn

Dawn Vallet RN, MSc
Safe Communities Foundation
Alberta Regional Coordinator
Phone: 780-465-1248
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.safecommunities.ca <http://www.safecommunities.ca/>

Injuries are the leading cause of death and disability among youth in
Alberta.  To address this public health concern, the Capital Health
Board identified injury prevention as one of three priority areas of
concern.  One category of injury "falls" is the leading cause of both
emergency department visits and inpatient hospitalizations among youth
under the age of 15 years.

Capital Health is beginning a falls prevention campaign for youth 0 to
19
years. The region is looking at home visitation as a possible method to
decrease childhood injury.  Although a literature review has been done,
we recognize that programs may exist that have not been evaluated and/or
published.  We encourage you to contact us if you have done any work in
this area or if you have any knowledge of work that has been done or is
currently in progress. Adele Dorey RN, MSc Pediatric Injury Prevention
KIDSAFE Connection Stollery Children's Hospital WMC 4H2.02 8440 112 St.
Edmonton, AB T6G 2B7
(780) 407 3967