From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:46:14 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Dennis Raphael/Atkinson on 09/12/2002 08:49
AM ---------------------------

Mike Hughes <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on 09/12/2002 05:27:19
AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

 Sent by: "The Health Equity Network (HEN)"

 To:      [log in to unmask]

 cc:      (bcc: Dennis Raphael/Atkinson)

 Subject: Media tunnel vision

An enthusiastic yes is my answer to the original question -Colleagues, What do
you think about starting an 'international social determinants of health week'
(or something with a bit of a snappier
title)?

Especially the bit about a snappier title.

As public health activiists our own lack of clarity is one of the reasons the
media is confused about public health and falls back on the clear medical
technology disease-fighting paradigm.

The very expression "determinant" is a sort of fudge - that means something
like "a relationship beween and event and a state, which is like a cause but
not a strong as that, but then is stronger than a mere association".

Also there is the problem of death as mentioned by Paulo. But in terms of
public health terms death is not a risk it's an absolute certainty. Any week
of action and publicity would need to focus on improving the quality of life
as being as important as prolonging it. Perhaps we could make the point that
even if we were to eliminate the effects of aging, infection, disease and
unecessary accidents we would not become immortal we would just die of
starvation, boredom or being struck by lightening.

As a snapier suggestion what about a "Good Government for Good Health" week?

Although it wouldn't necessarily make all the social  determinants of health
points, but it would hit many of them and provide a vehicle for discussion in
the media of all of them?

--
Message sent with Supanet E-mail