From:
Kathy Garnsworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:55:31 -0600
NEW ISSUE OF RESEARCH UPDATE

Research Update, a free, quarterly publication from the Alberta Centre for
Active Living, profiles current research in physical activity and healthy
living. To access this issue, please visit
www.centre4activeliving.ca/Research/ResearchUpdate/index.htm.

If you know of someone who would like to be added to our mailing list to
receive information related to physical activity, please contact Margaret
Burns at [log in to unmask] We encourage reprints of Research
Update. If you would like to reprint Research Update or reproduce it on your
web site, please let us know by contacting Kathy Garnsworthy at

1. What's in this issue of Research Update?

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living.

1. What's in this issue of Research Update?

This issue has been published in collaboration with Dietitians of Canada.

- Perceived Access to Physical Activity Facilities in Urban Areas
By John C. Spence, PhD, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Physical Education
and Recreation, University of Alberta, Nicoleta Cutsumiscu, MA, University
of Alberta, and Kerry R. McGannon, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of
Iowa.
This article focuses on one section of the 2002 Alberta Survey on Physical
Activity (to be published by the Alberta Centre for Active Living in the
fall of 2003).

- Working with the Givens: Philosophy and Experience in Collaboration
By Ruth Wolfe, MPH, Wolfe-Gordon Consulting, and Mary Anne Yurkiw, MSc, RC,
Alberta Milk.
This article analyses the evaluation report on the partnership among the
Alberta Partners in Nutrition Education (ALPINE), a health-promotion
collaboration to develop and disseminate consistent healthy eating and
active living messages to the general public.

2. News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living

- Alberta Centre for Active Living Featured on the Canadian Health Network
Web Site
Joanne Gesell, Education Coordinator at the Alberta Centre for Active
Living, is the author of the June feature article on the Canadian Health
Network home page. Joanne's article, "Stepping up your physical activity:
Walking to improve your health," appears June 1 on the Canadian Health
Network home page at www.canadian-health-network.ca/customtools/homee.html.
This article is full of practical walking tools and information on getting
started, setting
goals, measuring your progress, and overcoming barriers to walking.

- New Research Coordinator at the Centre
The Alberta Centre for Active Living is very pleased to announce the
appointment of Enrique Garcia as our new Research Associate. Dr. Garcia
recently completed his PhD in the Faculty of Physical Education and
Recreation at the University of Alberta. Dr. Garcia's research interests
include ecological approaches to sport and physical activity; socialization
through sport and physical activity; adolescent athletes; and global issues
affecting physical activity participation. We look forward to working with
Dr. Garcia, who takes up his position on August 5, 2003.

- Older Adult Resources
The Alberta Centre for Active Living supports Alberta practitioners and
organizations with innovative and collaborative projects that promote
physical activity for older adults.  Visit our newly redesigned Older
Adults' section of the web site at
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/index.html.

- 101 Active Living Ideas for Older Adults
The Alberta Centre for Active Living recently produced a poster that
contains 101 ideas for ways older adults can become more active. This poster
is available free (except for shipping costs). To find out how to order,
please visit
http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/Education/OlderAdults/101orderform.pdf.