From:
Ed Blonz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:16:56 -0800
Total cholesterol as a predictor is not an ideal measure, but changes in the
lipoprotein profile are more helpful.   The TFA issue does not rely totally
on the cholesterol/heart disease argument.   If you check the literature
with an open mind - understanding the industry and organizations interested
in the continued use of a food fat made from soy and corn, you will find the
evidence.  Why not touch base with Ravnskov, who's book "The Cholesterol
Myth" you cite.  He comes down hard against the demonization of cholesterol,
but stands firm in his condemnation of trans fatty acids?  Check with Dr.
Mary Enig, a research who has done much of the work that formed the basis of
this reassessment. Her book Know Your Fats, although written for a lay
audience,  is loaded with references.  She has a bit of her work, again
written for a popular audience, at http://www.bantransfats.com   And it is
not only a concern with heart disease.  Relationships with other conditions,
milk fat supression in nursing mothers, and cancer, are being investigated.
Although it is only an epidemiological finding, that same EURAMIC study the
found that adipose tissue concentration of trans fatty acids had a positive
association with postmenopausal breast cancer in European women.

I have no idea why you are holding on to this stance.   I first wrote on
this issue back in 1990 and am pleased to see the scientific community
finally picking up the pace in working toward the elimination of this fatty
acid from our diet.   I have a hard time understanding how any scientist who
keeps up with the scientific literature can defend this stuff.

Regards,

EB