From:
Rachel Moon Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:39:50 -0500
Thank you Jane - finally a balanced opinion.  As a public health
nutritionist who studied nutrition for 6 years I can confirm that your
common sense approach of whole grains, vegetables & fruit, &
lower-fat protein i.e. meat & alternatives (I would include lower-fat
milk products as well) is supported by research.  While the details
of nutrition will probably continue to be debated for years to come
since it is a young & complex science, these basics will not.
I am also a strong believer in the determinants of health as well as
in the fact that the two (i.e. determinants of health & healthy
lifestyle) are not mutually exclusive.  In fact, I believe that
constantly debating whether nutrition has any value (which of
course it does) actually diverts the focus from the social
determinants of health even further.  This completely defeats the
purpose of those who are constantly devaluing the importance of
healthy lifestyle.  Does the media focus too much on healthy
lifestyle?  Yes.  Does that mean we need to devalue it's
importance.  No.  It means we need to take every opportunity to
increase the profile of the social determinants of health as well.
Why can we not agree that all facets of health are important &
support each other's work rather than sabotage it?  In-fighting only
reduces the credibility of health professionals & does nothing to
further the social determinants of health agenda.
Thank you,
Rachel Moon Kelly, MHSc, RD
Public Health Nutritionist
HKPR Health Unit