From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:02:03 -0500
Libby Davies MP
Vancouver East
Federal NDP Housing Critic

December 16, 2003
Ottawa

Hon. Paul Martin
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington St
House of Commons
Ottawa ON, K1A 0A6

Dear Prime Minister,

I wanted to take this opportunity to offer my congratulations as you take
on the challenging role of Prime Minister.  Like many, I watched as the new
members of your cabinet were sworn in on Friday December 12.   I was
shocked to discover that there would no longer be a Minister of State
(Housing).  Later that day, CMHC did confirm that Hon. David Anderson,
Minister of the Environment would be the Cabinet member responsible for
that specific crown corporation.

This sends a strong message that affordable housing has been further
downgraded by your government.   We are facing a nation wide affordable
housing shortage and we need strong dedicated leadership.  As you are well
aware, in November of 2001 the federal government signed with the provinces
and territories an Affordable Housing Framework Agreement.  Now more than
two years later many of the provinces have not matched the federal monies
as agreed to.  Without a member of cabinet focused on housing, I see little
chance of any significant progress made on this file.

As Housing Critic and co-chair of the Liberal task force on housing when
your party was in opposition you made strong denouncements of the then
federal government.  In 1990 you made the following statement about the
Conservative government's lack of leadership around affordable housing:

"...the government sits there and does nothing; it refuses to apply urgent
measures that are required to reverse this deteriorating situation...The
lack of affordable housing contributes to and accelerates the cycle of
poverty, which is reprehensible in society as rich as ours."

I urge your government to make affordable housing a priority.  The federal
government must be an active player in insuring Canadians have access to
decent and affordable housing.  As you promise change and democratic reform
let's also see basic principles of equality met by showing strong federal
leadership in the area of affordable housing.

I look forward to your response on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Libby Davies MP
Vancouver East