From:
Dorothyanne Last <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:32:53 -0500
Hello and happy holidays to everyone -
I have recently resubscribed to this listserv after a period of absence and
I am discouraged to see that the discussion seems to have narrowed to one
between Dr. Raphael and one or two others.  There seem to be very few people
on the list and I wonder if it is because, although most of us would agree
with the vital importance of addressing the determinants of health, we would
also like to see some other discussions about different areas of health
promotion?  Dr. Raphael would perhaps argue all the rest of health promotion
activity is meaningless, but I would differ.  I have worked in physical
activity promotion, in healthy family promotion, and am now working in
injury prevention and tobacco addiction prevention.  I have seen that we can
actually make a difference in the health of people with health promotion
measures - maybe we are not reaching everyone - but we are reaching many.
Without assigning blame.

Is this listserv a free and open one?  Are others welcome to voice an
opinion without being flattened by rhetoric?  When I first subscribed to the
listserv, some years ago, it was a wonderful place to hear about ideas and
new research and to share our challenges.  Right now, I find it intimidating
and barren.  I remain hopeful it will return to its former broad and
welcoming focus.

Wishing everyone a more egalitarian new year, in discussion as well as in
wealth.

Dorothyanne Last
RN, BSc, MSc