From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:00:48 -0400
Two posts about housing solutions. All that is needed is to free up land for the structures and a
cure for NIMBYism.

1. "All I've ever wanted is a tiny house, on a piece of land large enough only to grow my own
veggies and fruit, a place where no one can tell me I can't keep Kiltie and Brodie.

And everytime I pass by a dilapidated or unused tool shed or garage, I think again of my dream.

Or when a post like the one John wrote today reminds me to visit one of my favourite
bookmarks..."

http://tinyurl.com/5eqlp2

2. "The problem with a Tumbleweed house is that even the 65 square foot model is over
$36,000, plus shipping.

Well now I learn that early this year students at the University of British Columbia's Emily Carr
Institute designed and built four houses, each unique, each 64 square feet, and none more than
$1,500..."

http://tinyurl.com/65jxgf

Comments on the posts have been interesting, including another low-cost solution in terms of
the housing itself. The problem really isn't the shelter, it's the unwillingness of municipalities to
relax restrictions on property use and other levels of government to make public land available
for housing.

Ocean
--
WISE Book - Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
Podcast Channel: http://bcseawalker.podbean.com/

See also Fair Vote Canada's home for abandoned and abused voters -
http://www.orphanvoters.ca/
If you live in BC, help promote the May 12 2009 referendum on electoral reform -
http://www.stv.ca/