From:
"Carlson, Marie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:02:17 -0600
Thank you!  Marie C

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Raphael [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [spiritof1848]

1848 runs a listserve - see below

Spirit of 1848 Caucus

 The Spirit of 1848: A Network Linking Politics, Passion, and Public
Health

The Spirit of 1848 is a network of people concerned about social
inequalities in health. Our purpose is to spur new connections among the
many of us involved in different areas of public health, who are working
on diverse public health issues  (whether as researchers, practitioners,
teachers, activists, or all of the above), and live scattered across
diverse regions of the  United States and other countries. In doing so,
we hope to help counter the fragmentation that many of us face: within
and between disciplines, within and between work on particular diseases
or health problems, and within and between different  organizations
geared to specific issues or social groups. By making connections, we
can overcome some of the isolation that  we feel and find others with
whom we can develop our thoughts, strategies, and enhance efforts to
eliminate social inequalities  in health.

 Our common focus is that we are all working, in one way or another, to
understand and change how social divisions based  on social class,
race/ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, and age affect the public's
health. As an activist network, we have  established five committees to
conduct our work:

 1) Public Health Data: This committee focuses on how and why we
measureand study social inequalities in health, and  develops projects
to influence the collection of data in US vital statistics, health
surveys, and disease registries.

 2) Curriculum: This committee focuses on how public health and other
health professionals and students are trained and,  gathers and shares
information about courses and materials to spur critical thinking about
social inequalities in health, in their  present and historical context.

 3) E-Networking: This committee will focus on networking and
communication within the Spirit of 1848, using e-mail, web  page,
newsletters, and occasional mailings.

 4) Mentoring/Outreach: This committee will develop mentoring
relationships, so that some of us who have been around for a  while can
share our experience with--and also learn from--others of us who are
relatively new to public health.

 5) History: This committee is an affiliate of the Sigerist Circle, an
already established organization of public health and medical
historians who use critical theory (Marxian, feminist, and otherwise) to
illuminate the history of public health and how we have  arrived where
we are today; its presence in the Spirit of 1848 helps ensure our
network's project are grounded in this sense  of history, complexity,
and context.

 We develop themes for our sessions at our annual business meeting at
APHA, each committee organizing at most one  session. After the theme is
selected, we solicit specified presentations (by both invitation and by
requests for
abstracts) and  also advertise on our Spirit of 1848 email bulletin
board if we are looking or presentations to address the selected themes.

Nancy Krieger
Dept of Health & Social Behavior
Harvard School of Public Health
677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115