From:
Adeline Rafael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:25:57 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Adeline Rafael
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 7:12 AM
Subject: Fw: Health Care Statement

As Canadians, we await in this next week one of the most important documents
to be released for some time. A report on the future of the Canadian Health
Care system will be released on Nov 28th and many are optimistic from
Commissioner Romanow's recent speeches that it will re-affirm the values on
which our health care was built to begin with, values based on social
justice, community, and the responsibility of citizens to care for those
less fortunate.  Those values are well represented in the statement of the
Canadian Health Care Coalition, http://www.healthcoalition.ca/oct12.html of
which the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario is proud to be part.

We are hopeful that the report will recommend changes to the health care
system that will uphold those values, yet recommend changes so that our
system can evolve from one that considered only essential medical and
hospital services as needing protection with the Canada Health Act's
principles of comprehensiveness, universality, accessibility, portability,
and public administration. In fact, RNAO has recommended in its report to
the Romanow Commission, a parallel act that would protect services across
sectors in the same way, e.g., home care, public health, rehab services,
pharmaceuticals. (More details are at
http://www.rnao.org/html/PDF/RNAO_MoreOfAGoodThing.pdf ).

Recently, at a rally to protest the creeping expansion of for-profit heath
care in Ontario, Shirley Douglas remarked that the future of health care in
Canada was in the public's hands. I would urge you to make your thoughts
known through letters to the editors of our daily newspapers. The addresses
are below. Letters from those of you outside of Canada will also be
important.

  National Post
  www.nationalpost.com <http://www.nationalpost.com/>
  The National Post