CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Adele Torrance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:53:20 -0500
Synergy Online – November 28, 2002

In this issue:
-WORLD AIDS DAY - DECEMBER 1: IMPACT OF AIDS WORSENS IMPACT OF SOUTHERN
AFRICAN FAMINE
-9th CANADIAN CONFERENCE ON INTERNATIONAL HEALTH: KEYNOTE ADDRESSES
-CSIH REQUESTS PROPOSALS FOR INTERNSHIPS
-HEALTH CANADA PUBLISHES NEW GUIDES TO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FOR CHILDREN
AND YOUTH
-WHO URGES GOVERNMENTS TO TAKE ACTION TO REDUCE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN
-JOB OPPORTUNITY: REGIONAL MANAGER FOR QUEEN’S PRIMARY HEALTH CARE -
FAMILY MEDICINE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM IN THE BALKANS
-ICRC: CHILDREN IN WAR
-UPCOMING CONFERENCES: DECEMBER-FEBRUARY
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

WORLD AIDS DAY - DECEMBER 1: IMPACT OF AIDS WORSENS IMPACT OF SOUTHERN
AFRICAN FAMINE

The HIV/AIDS epidemic is fuelling a widening and increasingly deadly
famine in southern Africa, according to the new joint report from WHO
and UNAIDS: “AIDS Epidemic Update 2002”.  The African famine is a clear
example of how the impact of HIV/AIDS reaches beyond the loss of life
and health care costs traditionally associated with disease. More than
14 million people are now at risk of starvation in Lesotho, Malawi,
Mozambique, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. All six of these
predominantly agricultural societies are battling serious AIDS
epidemics, with more than 5 million adults currently living with
HIV/AIDS in these countries, out of a total adult population of some 26
million. For more information on the report, visit:
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/releases/pr90/en/.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

9th CANADIAN CONFERENCE ON INTERNATIONAL HEALTH: KEYNOTE ADDRESSES

At the 9th Canadian Conference on International Health, Josh Kertzer,
winner of CIDA's Butterfly 208 contest, gave a speech entitled "The
groundwork is here: Getting youth involved in international
development."  Here is an excerpt from his address:

Last May, I wrote an essay for the Butterfly 208 contest, a contest
launched by the Canadian International Development Agency designed to
get youth involved in, and aware of, international development issues.
I wrote about the global AIDS crisis, specifically focussing on
sub-Saharan Africa.  Staying under the thousand-word limit, I didn’t
write anything terribly original: I didn’t find a miracle cure, or
conduct a groundbreaking research study.  I simply discussed why
conditions in developing countries cause the rate of HIV infection to be
so high, and brought up various social and economic methods that can be
used to ease the burden on these developing countries, and their
citizens.  I sent my essay off, and a couple of months later I found out
that I had won the contest, and would be travelling with my family to
Ecuador this coming February, to witness CIDA projects hands-on in a
developing nation.  And then I got an invitation to speak here, at the
Canadian Conference on International Health.
        My first reaction, to be honest, was “why me?”

Josh's speech is available at:
http://www.csih.org/what/joshkertzer.html.  Other keynote speeches given
at the conference are available at:
http://www.csih.org/what/conferences.html.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

CSIH REQUESTS PROPOSALS FOR INTERNSHIPS

CSIH is requesting proposals to host interns under the International
Health Youth Internships Program (YIP) in 2003-2004. All organizations
must either be in a developing country or have an overseas partner in a
developing country where the intern will work. The internship should
either involve Information Technology or health and development.
Please email [log in to unmask] for further information on the format of the
proposals. The deadline for final proposals is Thursday, December 12,
2002.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

HEALTH CANADA PUBLISHES NEW GUIDES TO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY FOR CHILDREN AND
YOUTH

Health Canada has launched a new series of publications to help
families, caregivers and teachers ensure that children and youth
increase their daily physical activity. For ordering information, visit:
http://www.canada.gc.ca/wire/2002/11/251102_e.html.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

WHO URGES GOVERNMENTS TO TAKE ACTION TO REDUCE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN

Violence accounts for approximately 7% of all deaths among women aged
15-44 worldwide. Nearly half the women who die due to homicide are
killed by their current or former husband or boyfriend. In addition to
the hundreds of thousands of lives destroyed, WHO’s newly released World
report on violence and health shows that violence against women has been
linked to a number of immediate and long-term conditions, including
physical injury, chronic pain syndromes, depression and suicidal
behaviour. Partner violence can also affect a woman’s earning, job
performance and her ability to keep a job. For the full article, visit:
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/releases/pr89/en/.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

JOB OPPORTUNITY: REGIONAL MANAGER FOR QUEEN’S PRIMARY HEALTH CARE -
FAMILY MEDICINE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM IN THE BALKANS

The Queen’s University Department of Family Medicine, funded by the
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), has an opening for a
Regional Project Manager. This person will be located full-time in the
region with regular travel between Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia and
Herzegovina.  For more information on the project, visit:
http://www.queensu.ca/fmed/bosniafm/index.html.  For more information on
the position, contact:

Sonja Verbeek, Project Officer,
Queen’s University Primary Health Care -
Family Medicine Development Program in the Balkans
220 Bagot St., Kingston, Ontario K7L 5E9
[log in to unmask]  (613) 549-4480, ext. 3906, (613) 544-3178 (fax)
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

ICRC: CHILDREN IN WAR

The International Committee of the Red Cross/Red Crescent (ICRC) has
launched a webpage called "Children in War" on its website.  The page
has a number of resources.  The ICRC stresses that the basic rights of
children, such as adequate medical care and access to food and water,
should be respected, particularly in wartime. It also focuses on the
importance of paying special attention to the situation of child
soldiers and children in captivity, and points to the need for children,
dispersed by conflict, to be reunited with their families. Humanitarian
laws protecting the rights of the child exist and governments are
responsible for applying them. Visit the website at:
http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/children.
>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^>^

UPCOMING CONFERENCES: DECEMBER-FEBRUARY

DECEMBER:
- Hope 2002 International Conference on Substance Abuse and HIV;
December 1-3, 2002; Mumbai, India;
http://www.hopeconference.org/indexmain.asp
- Third National Conference on Tobacco or Health: December 1-4, 2002;
Ottawa, ON; http://www.taylorandassociates.ca/tobacco/english/
-PAHO Centennial Symposium: "Celebrating Partnerships - 100 Years of
Health in the Americas"; December 2-3, 2002; Washington, DC;
http://www.paho.org/English/DEC/PartnershipSymposium.htm.
-Partnering for Global Health Forum 2002: December 3-5, 2002;
Washington, DC; http://bio.org/globalhealth/.
- 7th Annual International Health Summit: "Public-Private Partnerships
for Health Gain"; December 8-11, 2002; Miami, FL, USA;
http://www.ihsummit.com.
-Reducing Social Inequalities in Health Among Children and Young People;
December 9-10, 2002; Copenhagen, Denmark;
http://www.inequalities-copenhagen.dk/.
- The Psychology of Health, Immunity and Disease; December 9-15, 2002;
Hilton Head, SC, USA; www.nicabm.com.

JANUARY:
- 2nd Annual Emergency Care National Forum; January 22-23, 2003;
Toronto, ON;
http://www.insightinfo.com/conferences/brochures/brochure.cfm?product_co
de=HCC03355.

FEBRUARY:
- 2003 Nursing Leadership Conference: February 9-11, 2003; Ottawa, ON;
http://www.cna-nurses.ca/_frames/welcome/frameindex.html.
- Impact of Global Issues on Women and Children: February 16-21, 2003;
Bangkok, Thailand; http://www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/slru/ic2003/main.html.