Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:22:31 -0500
7bit
From:
Lynn Lavallee <[log in to unmask]>
I too could not resist, particularly with respect to the comments on
'choice.'

I firmly believe that with the issue of food (as well as other issues)
we need to acknowledge that 'choice' can be extremely limited, at times
leaving no real choice once all the options are considered. I think that
this is where a personal or more in-depth understanding is critical
before statements are made about an individual choosing unhealthy
options. There are so many external factors that need to be considered
that impact upon this apparent 'choice.' On a limited budget,
particularly when you know you will not have enough food to keep your
belly full, high fat foods become more attractive. French fries and
potato chips are cheaper and tend to just sit in my stomach for hours.
Perhaps the nutritionists could explain this one. Is it the oil?
Chocolate bars seem to work too?

One could argue that you can go to the grocery store and buy a bag of
potatoes for the cost of an order of fries but then we get into access
to a kitchen to make a better choice and broil your potato, let alone
the access to get to the grocery store and carry your groceries home,
including that 5lb bag of potatoes! And we can't forget about trying to
buy protein, way too expensive except for a can tuna which you can get
for 99 cents (you'll need that can opener though and tuna gets really,
really boring day after day).  So we're left with carbs and fat, let
alone not much variety to get our RDA'S, leaving us no energy to even
care, let alone exercise!

The choice is sometimes really no choice at all. I also believe it is
important to acknowledge that people are their own agents but to state
that 'We are agents who act in a manner to improve our health or who
choose "unhealthy" options' implies that we purposely choose 'unhealthy'
options when really, there is sometimes not much choice at all. We need
to look in-depth at why these apparently 'unhealthy' choices are made
before making judgments about someone's 'unhealthy' choice. It may
actually be the best perceived choice at that time.

Whew!

Lynn Lavallee