Sender:
From:
"Greaves, Lynn RQHR" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:08:46 -0600
The politicizing of tobacco issues was used by Mr. Raphael in his email.  It
wasn't my phrase.

If a strategy is proven to reduce tobacco related deaths, then why wouldn't
you use it?

There are social roots but most of them are based in the relatively free
reign the tobacco industry has had in promoting its product to children.
The tobacco industry, in fact, loves programs that focus on smokers - it
takes the focus off them and what they're doing to replace the 45,000
Canadians who die each year and the several hundred thousand who quit.

This is  a disease vector scenario.  The carrier of the disease is the
tobacco industry.

The fact is, if you create smoke free public places and workplaces and ban
tobacco advertising, people don't smoke as much.  Whether their parents
smoke is a factor,  and whether they are poor is a factor, but these
strategies still work.

It reminds me of a City Councilor who said he couldn't support a smoking
bylaw because he represented poor people and they liked to smoke.  We did a
survey and it showed that poor people wanted to be protected from
second-hand smoke just like everyone else.

Don't stigmatize these people.  They deserve better.

This isn't "lifestyle correctness".  It's protecting kids, the same way you
would, I presume, want them to know about being protected from HIV/AIDS.  Or
should that be kept a secret too?

Lynn Greaves
Public Health Services
Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region