From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 13:32:06 -0400
It was said that:

>My understanding of health promotion has not changed from there but I have to
admit that I was amazed how quickly the critical focus of health promotion was
converted to the biomedical, behavior-based type of health promotion
particularly prevalent in the US. Unfortunately, other countries have joined
this stream of health promotion in the meantime and it seems that health
promotion understood as a socio-political strategy is almost dead.<

I say:

For those from elsewhere, the MHSc Program in Health Promotion at the University
of Toronto remains consistent with the principles of the Ottawa Charter.
Established in 1979, it a) takes a critical social science perspective towards health
promotion; b) admits ten students a year from 75+ applications; and c) boasts
several excellent courses that cover the range of health promotion issues and
stratgies from macro-social policy issues through to lifestyle behaviours.  Our
flagship course "Health Promotion" is taught by Ron Labonte," I teach Research
Methods, Harvey Skinner does Health Behaviour and Change, Ilze Kalnins and Irv
Rootman teach Critical Issues in Health Promotion, Michael Goodsdadt does
Health Promotion Strategies, etc...

It is a two year program with two practica. If anyone desires an overview and
admission information, I can e-mail these in WordPerfect 5.1 or ascii format.
Please specify which you would like.  We admit two of ten students on a part-time
basis. Our application deadline is February 1.

Sincerely,

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D., C.Psych
Department of Behavioural Science
University of Toronto