From:
Lynn Lavallee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:52:35 -0500
We definitely need people like Dennis Raphel and others advocating for lower
income individuals and communities with respect to health and educate health
promoters and other professions about 'victim blaming'. The 'behaviour risk
factors' do place the onus on the individual and does negate the bottom-line
that $$$ are also needed in other areas, such as providing quality food,
appropriate housing, job training, educational ... etc (the list is
endless).

In addition, the stigma of being 'poor' compounds the challenges and adds to
the stressors. I would argue that this stigma contributes to the
marginalization and resulting 'demotivation' for programs aimed at
'behavioural risk factors', such as smoking, diet, & exercise and even for
other programs such as job training and education - so it's not wonder that
many programs are ineffective. Please understand when I say 'demotivation'
it does not point the finger at the individual, but rather society. If you
can find a better word that is less accusatory please tell me...

I would also argue that to completely do away with programs aimed at
behaviour, particularly exercise programs, is not the answer. What is needed
is a multitude of strategies that somehow address the marginalization and
demotivation that society has caused in addressing poverty and health. I
would hate to see any $ or policy taken away from lower income communities.
We've already seen this done in Toronto with the implementation of user fees
at our community and recreation centres, albeit some centres in lower income
communities waive the user fee.

Imagine what could be done if these health promotion programs recognized the
other pieces to the puzzle and collaborated with individuals like Dennis to
develop comprehensive programs for communities.

Lynn Lavallee
Doctoral Student
University of Toronto
Faculty of Social Work