Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:28:11 -0800
Debbie Fields from Foodshare Toronto, recently asked the question "Is food
security the same as income security?" I think there is alot of overlap
between the two, and yes, while it is important to acknowledge that
individual choices impact on our eating habits, the work of  food security
networks across the province would indicate that income levels are a big
issue in terms of the eating habits of the poor. In terms of healthy eating
issues for the middle and upper classes, however, there are a number of
environmental factors that impact on the safety of the foods that they
eat.(Of course, these environmental factors impact on the poor as well.)
One only has to read Vandana Shiva, scientist and environmental activist,
or Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D., Ecologist, Cancer Survivor, author of Living
Downstream, to realize that while people with money have access to fruits
and  vegetables, those foods may contain hazardous toxins. With respect to
building community capacity for healthy eating, the work of Foodshare, the
TFPC and other food security networks (many of whom are led by or include
health promoters or nutritionists) provides us with excellent examples of
community-based initiatives to impact on policies and programs to improve
people's access to healthy foods. Here are their websites.
Foodshare:   http://www.foodshare.net
Toronto Food Policy Council:  Can be reached through the Ryerson Food
security website, at www.ryerson.ca/~foodsec/

Monique Beaudoin
Northeastern Ont. Community Animator/Animatrice regionale du nord-est
Ont. Healthy Communities Coalition/Coalition des Communautes en sante de
l'Ontario
http://www.healthycommunities.ca