From:
Barbara Krimgold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:17:07 -0500
BMJ: International health experts call on British Prime Minister to consider
health impacts of war on Iraq

Please note this story is embargoed until Thursday night, UK time. Yours,
Rory

BMJ Press Release : EMBARGO: 23:01 hours, Thursday 23 January 2003 UK time

International health experts call on British Prime Minister to consider
health impacts of war on Iraq

Open letter to Tony Blair: Call to prevent escalating violence BMJ Volume
326, p 220

A war on Iraq would have disastrous short, medium and long-term social and
public health consequences - not just for Iraq, but internationally, argue
500 signatories of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine in an
open letter to Tony Blair, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

This letter is published simultaneously in this week's issue of the BMJ and
the Lancet.

The letter highlights three reports published in the last month on the
humanitarian impacts of international violence and conflict. All provide
evidence of the short and long-term adverse health impacts of the use of
force internationally.

Medact estimate that if the threatened war on Iraq ensues, total possible
deaths on all sides during conflict and in the following three months range
from 48,000 to over 260,000. The most recent UN report also estimates
substantial and wide-reaching humanitarian impacts. But the most worrying
impact of the use of force in Iraq and internationally, say the authors, is
in its role as an escalator of collective violence - the instrumental use
of violence in order to achieve political, economic or social objectives.
WHO reports that such collective use of force has long term negative
impacts on stability and social wellbeing.

"Health professionals worldwide care for the casualties of war. We accept
this responsibility. However, it is also our responsibility to argue for
prevention of violence and peaceful resolution of conflict, write the
authors.

"Our experience and evidence corroborate the views of the World Health
Organisation, the United Nations and Medact. We oppose the use of military
intervention in Iraq. We hope this letter contributes to informed
discussion amongst members of the Government and the public. We also intend
this statement to support all those who are opposed to military action on
ethical and humanitarian grounds, not originating from any political or
religious view point," they conclude.

Contact:
Dr Carolyn Stephens, Senior Lecturer in Environment and Health Policy,
Department of Public Health & Policy, London School of Hygiene & Tropical
Medicine
Tel: +44 (0)20 7927 2308 or Lindsay Wright, Press Officer: +44 (0)7941 294
885

Click here to view full letter:
http://press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/january/ltr220.pdf
<http://press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/january/ltr220.pdf>

Please note:
The BMJ press release is available to journalists on the BMA web site press
centre: www.bma.org.uk <http://www.bma.org.uk> ; the EurekAlert web site run
by the American
Association for the Advancement of Science: www.eurekalert.org
<http://www.eurekalert.org>  and on
AlphaGalileo, the internet press centre for European science, engineering
and technology: www.alphagalileo.org <http://www.alphagalileo.org> .