From:
Jacquie Poitras <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:46:03 -0500
What about an even more radical approach: teaching all children to respect each
other's diversity of life experiences while also teaching some respect for the
environment?  I guess concrete playgrounds aren't necessarily conducive to this
radical approach. . .

A focus on the environment (air, water, earth) could include some elements of
smoking awareness.  Learning that the air a smoker puffs out is the same air
that the child breathes in might help the children (and their parents) to
connect a personal habit with social repercussions.  Maybe Robb's ideas to
connect social determinants could be taught in tandem--learning to have respect
for others is a good start.

Jacquie Poitras

 --- Robb Travers <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >  Why focus on smoking?    My
concern is that children from families who are